Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Close, but not quite

A chart of my poker bankroll over the last couple of months would show a sharp drop in March, much like a stock bottoming out (like my stocks, which ARE bottoming out) and a fairly level graph in April.

My tournament play especially has been of the close, but not quite in the riches category. A couple of quick examples:

Playing in the FTP $6K freeroll Saturday, in which the winner got $1,200, I finished 13th of 500. I was in the SB with QQ. The button just called and I popped the 2,000 BB another 6,000. He flops a set of deuces and busts me. I win about $45.

Playing in the $25,000 guaranteed $10+$1 rebuy on PS the other night, which that night had an otherworldly prize pool of $47K and nearly $12K to the winner, I make a stupid mistake (so stupid I will not publicly embarrass myself with the details here) and go out 71st after having an above average stack at the time. I profit about $60 big ones.

I can't help but think that my struggles of late led to my bad play in the PS tourney. It was one of those moments where you push the all in button and wish you could take it back IMMEDIATELY. But, no sir, you paid your ticket and there are no refunds.

At least I'm playing a sane game in the WSOP Steps, slowly biding my time to climb the ladder. The key is to make top 5 and I've done it dashingly well. I took third in a Step 3 last night and jumped up to Step 4. I played a very patient game in that one, managing a short stack well enough to place fifth and maintain my standing at Step 4. I think once you are in trouble it's best to be patient and try to make top 5 rather than pushing all in and hoping to get lucky and make the top 3. As long as you stay at the same step there is always another day. But that's just my two cents.

No comments: