Monday, December 20, 2004

A mother's lament

Upon traveling home to Cullman this past weekend, I finally revealed my plans to my parents. I had been hesitant in telling them for fear of them looking at my idea with disdain. You must understand that I come from a very conservative -- read cautious -- family. Both of my parents have spent their entire working lives in the same job. They just aren't big risk takers.

I decided the time had come to tell them the truth, especially since I have had a literary agent express interest in my writing and may soon try to take a year off to focus on my proposal and eventual book. Unfortunately, the agent's client list is full, but he did give me some very helpful hints in getting another agent. You Card Player readers should be familiar with this agent, who is Greg Dinkin.

The good news is that while my parents had plenty of questions, they seemed supportive. Believe me, that takes a huge burden off my shoulders, not having to stick my neck out without having to deal with nagging parents. I'm 28, but I still care very much what my parents think.

Before I left Sunday afternoon to head back to Tuscaloosa, my mother questioned me again.

"Do you have faith in me?" I asked her.
"Of course I do," she replied.
"Then don't discourage me from doing this," I said.

2 comments:

Ignatious said...

kudos, you had a far more positive experience than i. i'm truly jealous. :)

แมน said...

money easy click เลขเด็ดvip