Thursday, October 21, 2004

Don't believe your own press

I probably no longer earn the moniker "Tuscaloosa" Johnny, as this year has been a greater struggle than the last, when it seemed I couldn't lose. Perhaps it proves a point I occasionally make to my fellow players that you are neither as good as you think you are when you win, nor are you as bad as you think you are when you lose. (This applies only to quality players, of course.)

Take this week for example. On Sunday, I drop the $470 in the 10-20 game, my set losing to a straight, my straight losing to a higher straight and so on. On Tuesday, I play the heads up tournament on Poker Stars and win it for a profit of $746. Then on Wednesday, I go out of the same tournament in the first round, get booted from a WPT qualifier and drop another $100 at the 3-6 shorthanded tables.

I guess we play this game because it drives us insane.

No comments: