Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Saying goodbye to 2008 and a good morning to 2009



I am back from being MIA. Over the past month I was first busy putting together articles for The Season, a special pub by Crimson Tide Sports Marketing documenting 'Bama's 12-0 regular season (they certainly fell flat at the end there, didn't they?). After finishing that I spent the next week getting all of my stuff done for the January issue of Rounder. And by then it was Christmas time.

Hope you kids got everything you wanted from Santa.



If you're like me, you're eager to get the new year off to a good start. I am still in that gray area between full-time job hunting and seeking more freelance work/playing better, winning more at poker (all options that seem more difficult than they should be). Jobs are tough to come by these days...good ones, anyway. But so is freelance work.

I recently tallied my poker earnings for 2008 and I came out a little better than I thought, but they were still in the low five figures. You may recall that earlier in the year I had a goal of winning in the neighborhood of $25K to $30K from poker, but I ended up about half of that. It's funny how poker comes in streaks and spurts. Last year, I was up close to $5K after the first WEEK of 2008 after winning my share of satellites my first day in Tunica for the World Poker Open and then taking down a big daily tournament at the next-door Horseshoe the following day. Although most of the rest of the year was slow I did finish well by winning a small $11+R PLO tournament on PokerStars in mid-December for nearly $1K.

Now I'm off again, headed to the Beau Rivage in Biloxi this afternoon for the Southern Poker Championship, which is now the January World Poker Tour event in Mississippi. I'm going down for a few days, mainly to play, and then headed back to Tuscaloosa for the weekend. Then it's back down there for a week mostly to cover things for Rounder.

No comments: