Monday, March 28, 2005

How would the Easter Bunny play this hand?

Rat a tat tat.

Woke up early this morning and drove down the sloppy roads from my parents' house in Cullman to Tuscaloosa. I'd usually come back on Sunday evening after spending the Easter weekend up there, but thanks to the tornado watch across the state I decided to hold off.

My mother woke me at 6:15 and I could hear the rain hitting the pavement outside. Man, what a day to call in sick. I know the best days to fake it are those when the weather is beautiful outside, but when you know you've got to drive nearly two hours through the slop and it's that early in the morning you just want to go back to bed.

Rat a tat tat.

So I made it to the house, changed clothes and headed for the office. Even got here at 9 a.m. -- regular time. There wasn't any coffee in the pot so I put the filter in and hit the brew button. The green light came on, followed by

drip, drip, drip

Rat a tat tat.

Bang the drum slowly.

Five years in the same job. I don't know how people (like my parents) spend a lifetime doing the same thing. Completing the same tasks, working with the same people, putting up with the same stuff.

Wouldn't life be great if we didn't have to train for years to learn a profession? What if we could be a lawyer for a week, a doctor the next and, heck, even a garbage man the week after that? We could put ourselves into another's shoes, if only for that brief period, and see what life is like for others.

What if we could just play poker all day for one year?

Well that can be arranged.

I've talked with the bosses. We've actually been talking off and on for nearly a month, but finally close to sealing the deal. It appears I'll be granted some type of leave in which I can come back to work here without losing any benefits I've accrued. My last day is going to be June 17 it seems, two days after I turn 29.

I'll be 30 when all this is over, a fitting round number for when I hit the crossroads. Where will I be at that time? Will I come back, or will I go off on other adventures?

Rat a tat tat.

No comments: