Tuesday, April 19, 2005

The wheels spin round and round

In poker, it seems, I have no outs.

After my woeful earlier efforts in the RGP challenge, which includes NO money finishes in 11 attempts, I managed to luck up and win the one last night, for a profit of about $145, I think. The thing is, earlier in the evening I played in a regular local game and dropped $170, in which the final hand my KK when down in flames to another player's 56o after a board of T-7-3-6-6.

These days I either break even or lose on any given day. On days like Monday I'm akin to a hamster running around in his wheel. I just can't seem to gain ground.

On another note, despite other players' insistence that the WSOP Steps are the worst thing since moldy bread, I've still been plugging away at them. I'm already invested. What can you do? I've got a run of about 15 tournaments on the same $12 going right now. I've been wavering between Steps 3-5 for a week now. When I get to a higher step I finish low enough to drop back down and then when I get to a lower step I finish high enough to move back up. It seems I am in WSOP qualifying purgatory.

At least I finally did something smart and re-upped with Ultimate Bet to go back and play some heads-up SNGs. During my losing streak, that's about the only thing I hadn't tried to break my cursed luck. So far, so good. Lost my first one, then won 12 in a row. I've lost about 5 of my last 7 thanks to some horrific two to four outers on the river in a few of them, but overall I'm up about $200. Of all the different ways to play the various poker games, I think I'm better at heads up NL hold'em than any other discipline (despite my bad play last night against PMJackson, in which I was lucky to take first.)

No comments: